top of page

Here to help

Current resources and signposting to resources to support live music touring professionals 




View the TPG's Covid-19 Working Procedures Guidance 




Read the HMRC Guidelines on movement of goods between GB and the EU

(5th March 2021)



What are the new working permit/visa requirements from 2021 for UK nationals working within the EU? 



Do I now need a carnet?

If so, why?

Published with permission from Ian Smith of UK Europe Arts Work.

Updated January 15th 2021


First and foremost, UK citizens will still be able to visit the Schengen area without the need for any visa as long as that visit does not exceed 90 days in any 180-day period. Yes, that means you! if you're a British Citizen.

Now that being said does that mean I can still work without restrictions in the EU 27? 
Nope, sorry, BUT in many states with a minimum of fuss you'll be able to for a variable amount of time, from 7 days in any one year to 90 days without a permit or visa. Some states less some more.

We now know the deal the UK govt. has secured, whatever you feel about it (remember we are an apolitical site). We also need to say, from speaking to many experienced contacts in the industry, that regulations are enforced variably across different territories. HOWEVER, we must stress you should ALWAYS abide by and respect local laws and regulations regarding your stay and work in any country; respect is key for working in our neighbours' homelands.

The picture is mixed; we're publishing this information to put minds at rest and welcome feedback - if we've got it wrong then please do get in touch. It's an evolving picture as time goes on and not as forlorn as many would paint it for creative workers. I know most would prefer this not to be happening, but we need to accept the UK has left the EU and now need to work with the best knowledge possible to keep everyone working.

One last thing to say is that the EU does not specify generally for individual member states work permit or visa requirements for WORK for third country nationals, which is why there is so much variance between sovereign EU states. It's in this context you should read this page.

Also, please NOTE none of this affects the need for an ATA carnet which IS currently necessary for all equipment used in a professional context.

This is the new European system similar to the USA's ESTA programme and will require third country nationals to register, but at time of writing this is not in place though is expected to be by the end of this year, 2021. The legal procedures to pass the ETIAS started in 2016, and the system is expected to be launched on January 1, 2022. It will, however, become completely effective and obligatory for travellers only by the end of 2022. We will expand on this more when it's nearer to being implemented.
More info on this link:

bottom of page